Keven Gomez, PharmD
PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Resident
Loma Linda University School of Pharmacy
Updates on CMV management and discussion on the place of the recently approved Livtencity (maribavir) in CMV management. As of 2022, there are only 4 approved medications for use in treatment of CMV infections in transplantation populations: ganciclovir, valganciclovir, cidofovir, and foscarnet. Letermovir is another medication that is only FDA-approved as prophylaxis for CMV. The introduction of maribavir provides an additional option for treatment in CMV in patients who do not respond to standard of therapy in transplantation populations
Upon successful completion of this knowledge-based course pharmacists should be able to:
- Explain the issues that can arise in transplantation populations with cytomegalovirus (CMV)infection
- Describe the current standard of care for CMV management
- Define refractory vs. resistant CMV
- Discuss the role of maribavir in the treatment of CMV
- Describe future directions for research into CMV treatments
Claim your CPE Credit
To obtain 1.0 contact hour of continuing pharmacy education credit (0.1 CEU), participants must participate in the live activities, and log on to the CEimpact website to complete the exam and evaluation.
- Click on https://learn.ceimpact.com and login to CEImpact.
- If you are new to the site, click on Create an account before logging in.
- Enter the course code (provided at the end of the lecture) in the text box on the left of the screen and click Submit.
- Click on My Courses (on the left of the screen) to locate the course.
- Click on the course title to access the course.
- Complete the exam (2 opportunities provided) and evaluation as prompted and click Submit.
- The course will move to the Completed tab under My Courses.
- The CPE Statement of Credit will be available on CPE Monitor, www.MyCPEMonitor.net.
CEimpact is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
UAN: 0107-9999-23-057-L01-P | 0.1 CEUs/1.0 Hrs.
Live Date: February 16, 2023
Faculty Disclosure: The presenter(s) has/have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose.
Course Format: Live, In-Person
Financial Support: None
Course Fee: This course is available at no cost.