The Loma Linda University PGY2 Oncology Practice Residency is fully accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). The PGY2 Oncology resident will develop the knowledge, attitude, and skills necessary to become an advanced pharmaceutical care practitioner in the area of oncology. The program is structured to suit the individual needs of the resident and provide an environment of quality training in pharmaceutical care. The PGY2 Oncology Residency Program offers the opportunity to experience a variety of oncology practice settings. Your unique residency can include learning experiences such as adult oncology, pediatric oncology, ambulatory infusion clinics, palliative care service, investigational drug service, or symptom management clinic. Loma Linda University is dedicated to the necessary training of competent clinical pharmacists in specialized areas. Loma Linda University Medical Center is home of the Loma Linda University Cancer Center and the James M. Slater Proton Treatment and Research Center, and is affiliated with the Loma Linda University School of Pharmacy.
- Become proficient in the pharmacologic management of the cancer patient by providing comprehensive supportive care and symptom management recommendations.
- Function as a productive member of a multi-disciplinary oncology team.
- Provide patient-centered pharmaceutical care.
- Improve both written and verbal communication skills.
- Acquire adequate knowledge and skills to prepare for and attain Board Certified Oncology Pharmacist (BCOP) certification upon completion of the program.
- Participate in oncology patient care rounds, monitor patients and assess the appropriateness of drug therapy.
- Provide drug information to patients, caregivers, and other healthcare professionals.
- Participate in Cancer Committee, tumor boards and other oncology meetings.
- Precept pharmacy students and/or PGY1 residents.
- Develop oncology-related guidelines and provide education.
- Successfully complete a research project to present at the Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association (HOPA) Annual Conference or Western States Conference for Pharmacy Residents.
- Prepare manuscript suitable for publishing.
- Participate in community service events with the student professional organizations
Required Learning Experiences
- Administration – Cancer Center/Oncology focus
- Adult Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT)
- Ambulatory Infusion Clinic(s)
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Investigational Drug Service
- Longitudinal Patient Care Clinic
- Medical Oncology – Acute and Ambulatory
- Palliative Care Service
Potential Elective Experiences
- Critical Care
- Infectious Diseases
- Nutritional Support
- Palliative Care Clinic
- Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT)
- Pediatric Oncology - Acute or Ambulatory
- Specialty Pharmacy
- Surgical Oncology
- Symptom Management Clinic
Teaching Certificate Program
Residents enrolled in the PGY2 Program will participate in the Loma Linda University School of Pharmacy Teaching Certificate Program. The goal of the program is to provide participants the experience and guidance necessary to understand and apply current educational issues in pharmacy education. In order to earn the certificate, each participant must meet the following requirements:
- Participate in all scheduled sessions and workshops.
- Present a didactic classroom session (at least 1 hour) to pharmacy students
- Engage in a longitudinal teaching experience in the PY3 curriculum that includes the development of at least one case (with a grading key) and overseeing group discussions about patient cases.
- Co-precept one Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) or Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience (IPPE) student, if assigned
- Develop a written statement of teaching philosophy
- Develop a satisfactory teaching portfolio
Michelle Spencer-Safier, PharmD, BCOP
Director, PGY2 Oncology Residency Program
Manager, Oncology Pharmacy
Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice
Loma Linda University Medical Center and School of Pharmacy
Faculty Directory Profile