Loma Linda University PGY2 Critical Care Residency Program is fully accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). The PGY2 Critical Care resident will develop the knowledge, attitude, and skills necessary to become an advanced pharmaceutical care practitioner in the area of critical care. The program is structured to suit the individual needs of the resident and provide an environment of quality training in pharmaceutical care. With the growing number of PGY2 programs, Loma Linda University is dedicated to the necessary training of competent clinical pharmacists in specialized areas.
- Become proficient in the pharmacologic management of the critically ill patient.
- Possess the necessary skills to function as an advanced practitioner in the setting of a multi-disciplinary critical care team.
- Improve upon written and verbal communication skills.
- Acquire the adequate knowledge and skills needed to attain Board Certified Critical Care Pharmacy (BCCP) certification upon completion of the program.
- Participate in ICU patient care rounds, monitor patients, and assess the appropriateness of drug therapy.
- Provide drug information to patients, caregivers, and other healthcare professionals.
- Participate in the Critical Care Committee and other critical care meetings.
- Develop critical care-related guidelines and provide education to health care professionals and students.
- Precept pharmacy students and/or PGY1 residents.
- Deliver didactic instruction and facilitate small group discussions.
- Successfully complete a research project and present at The Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) Annual Congress or Western States Conference for Pharmacy Residents.
- Prepare a manuscript suitable for publication.
- Participate in community service events with the student professional organizations.
- Orientation/Hospital Practice
- Surgical Intensive Care
- Medical Intensive Care
- Cardiac Intensive Care
- Neurological Intensive Care
- Emergency Department
POTENTIAL ELECTIVE EXPERIENCES (PGY2)
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Pediatric Intensive Care
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care
- Solid Organ Transplant
- Infectious Diseases
- Adult Inpatient Oncology
- Pediatric Inpatient Oncology
- Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- Operating Room/Perioperative Care
- Medication-Use Safety
TEACHING CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
PGY2 residents have the option to participate in the Teaching Certificate Program. The goal of the program is to provide participants the experience and guidance necessary to understand and apply current educational issues in pharmacy education. In order to earn the certificate, each participant must meet the following requirements:
- Attend the teaching seminars
- Give a minimum of one didactic lecture (1 hr minimum)
- Engage in a longitudinal teaching experience in the PY3 curriculum which includes developing and leading case discussions
- Give one hour of accredited continuing education to pharmacists
- Give one in-service
- Present one poster at a professional meeting
- Develop a teaching dossier
Thomas Bushell, PharmD
PGY2 Critical Care Residency Program Coordinator
Surgical Intensive Care Unit Pharmacy Specialist
Loma Linda University Medical Center
11234 Anderson St, Loma Linda CA 92354
Office: (909) 558-4500 x83885