A Seventh-day Adventist Organization


Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Is LLU a faith-based institution?
Yes. Loma Linda University School of Pharmacy is owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. The mission of the School of Pharmacy is to educate and train pharmacists within a Christian environment so that they can become caring, competent, health care professionals.

Do I have to be a Seventh-day Adventist to apply?
No. Preference is given to qualified Seventh-day Adventist individuals; however, LLUSP has a firm policy of admitting individuals who desire a faith-based education and demonstrate a commitment to Christian principles. No candidate is accepted on the basis of religious affiliation alone.

How many letters of recommendation do I need, and from whom?

We require a minimum of three (3) letters of recommendation. One must be from a pastor, clergy or spiritual advisor. We recommend the other two be from a science instructor and a pharmacist. Re-applicants must submit at least one new letter of recommendation. 

What is the minimum GPA required for admission to the PharmD program?
The minimum for both cumulative and cumulative science/math GPA is 2.75.

Is a baccalaureate degree required for admission?
No. However, in rare circumstances a student who has not completed a bachelor's degree will be considered for admission into the School of Pharmacy. Applicants without a bachelor's degree must complete a specified number of units in social & behavioral sciences; humanities and fine arts; and English composition as a required minimum. However, a degree will make an applicant more competitive for admission, and in recent years a strong majority of our successful applicants have had degrees. The few without a degree have junior standing and have completed upper division math/science preparatory courses.

Is pharmacy experience required?
While it is not a requirement, it is highly recommended that an applicant obtain paid or volunteer pharmacy experience.

Can I fax my application materials?
Applications are available only through PharmCAS, followed by an email invitation for a LLU Supplemental Application.

When will I know if I will be invited for an interview?
We will begin inviting applicants for interviews during November and will continue through March. Interview slots are easier to obtain earlier in the application process.

Does Loma Linda University School of Pharmacy participate in PharmCAS?
Yes, we do participate in PharmCAS. Please use this link to apply to PharmCAS: www.pharmcas.org.

When will I get the LLU Supplemental Application?
Once we receive your verified and completed application from PharmCAS, we will send you by e-mail the LLU Supplemental Application. You will have 15 days from when it is sent to you to submit the completed application.

How do I get the Academic Prerequisite Record form?
Once you submit the LLU Supplemental Application and the payment is processed, the form will be available to you on your application portal. Download the pdf file to your computer and follow the instructions on the form to submit the completed Academic Prerequisite Record form.

When do I need to complete my prerequisite courses?
The prerequisites need to be completed by the end of Spring term of the year you plan to enroll.

I repeated a course. Do you count both grades in calculating my GPA?
Yes, we count the grades received for all courses taken at the post-secondary level.

How can I know if my file is complete?
You may check on your application portal for items that are outstanding as well as those that have been received.

Do you have a rolling admissions policy?
Yes, we review completed applications and accept students on a continual basis from November through March.

Is there an advantage to applying early?
Yes, we do our primary review of files as they are received and completed. Early applicants have the advantage of having a greater number of interview openings still available. Remember, we have a rolling admissions policy.

Do I need to submit transcripts that have courses that are unrelated to the pharmacy prerequisites?
Official academic transcripts are required from all colleges and universities you have attended regardless of whether or not it applies to your prerequisite coursework. All transcripts must be submitted directly to PharmCAS.

May I call your office to find out the status/decision of my file?
We notify every applicant in writing as soon as a decision is made. We are not able to provide status or decision information over the phone or through e-mail. This hinders the process and delays notification for all applicants. Please be patient as you wait to hear from us.

Can international students apply?
Yes, we do consider international students. Applicants who have done academic work in countries outside of the U.S. must have all prerequisites completed at a two or four-year accredited U.S. institution. The approved academic record evaluation for foreign transcripts will still be required as supplemental material for evaluating the potential for success of that student.

My course plan has changed, must I notify your office of these changes?
Yes, since we consider your complete academic performance in evaluating your application, you must inform us of your current and planned course schedules--even courses that are not pharmacy prerequisites. Please e-mail us at admissions.sp@llu.edu for schedule changes. You must also notify us immediately if you are not receiving a baccalaureate degree as anticipated.

How many applications do you receive? How many students do you accept per year?
On average, we receive 600 - 700 completed applications. The class size is 85 students.

I have completed coursework outside of the United States. Should I have my international transcripts evaluated prior to applying?
Yes, international coursework must be evaluated by one of the following companies:

1.  Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
2.  World Education Services (WES)

Must I have all the prerequisite courses completed before I apply?
No, but you must have a plan in place that allows you to complete all prerequisite coursework and entrance requirements by the end of Spring quarter/semester prior to entering our program. Applicants who have done academic work in countries outside of the U.S. must have all prerequisites completed at a two or four-year regionally accredited U.S. institution. The approved academic record evaluation for foreign transcripts will still be required as supplemental material for evaluating the potential for success of that student.

Can I take prerequisite courses at a foreign school?
No, all prerequisites need to be completed at a two or four-year regionally accredited U.S. institution.

Is the PCAT or GRE required?
No, we do not require any standardized test.

I have already enrolled in a professional pharmacy program. Am I eligible to transfer?
No, LLUSP does not enroll transfer students in the professional program.

Do you give preference to residents of California or from California colleges?
No, although a significant portion of our student body is from California, this is merely a reflection of our overall applicant pool.

I already have a baccalaureate degree. Do I still need to complete all the prerequisites?
Yes, all applicants must complete all the prerequisites regardless of degree or major before entrance into our PharmD program.

What if I have a change of address or telephone number?
You should e-mail our office at admissions.sp@llu.edu of all changes of mailing, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers.

How do I withdraw my application?
You should e-mail our office at admissions.sp@llu.edu indicating your decision to withdraw your application. Please notify us as soon as possible. An explanation is appreciated.